Home - News

Parents Who Host, Lose the Most

Don't be a party to teenage drinking. It's against the law.


FACT: It is a criminal offense in the state of New Jersey (2C:33-17a) to serve alcohol to anyone who is under the legal age of 21.

FACT: It is a criminal offense in the state of New Jersey (2C:33-17b) to make your home or property available for the purpose of allowing minors a place to consume alcohol.

FACT: New Jersey's Social Host Liability Law imposes civil penalties on social hosts who serve alcohol to minors who subsequently are involved in incidents causing death or injury.

Alcohol- Youth's #1 Drug of Choice!

National research shows that 57% of minors reported drinking at friends' homes. Local surveys suggest that 60% - 80% of 11th and 12th graders obtain alcohol from home or home parties, with 30% reporting that they consume alcohol at home with their parent's permission.*

7.8% of New Jersey's 8th graders and 10% of New jersey's 7th graders have used alcohol in the past 30 days**

About 4 in 5 (78.5%) of NJ's high school students have used alcohol in their lifetime and nearly half (48%) used alcohol in the past 30 days.**

Nationally, 12% of 8th graders, 22% of 10th graders, and 29% of 12th graders report having consumed five or more drinks in a row in the last two weeks.**

Consequences of Use

More than 40% of individuals who begin drinking before age 13 will develop alcohol abuse or dependency at some point in their lives.**

Underage drinking is a factor in nearly half of all teen automobile crashes and 50% - 65% of youth suicides. Alcohol abuse is linked to as many as two-thirds of all sexual assaults and date rapes of teens and college students.*

27.9% of New Jersey's 7th and 8th graders who used alcohol in the past 30 days got F's.**

Almost 12% of adolescent drinkers engage in alcohol-related physical fighting.**

*Source: Institute for Public Strategies Briefing
**Source: National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence - New Jersey

Suggestions for Parents if your Teen is giving a Party

Put your phone number on the invitation and welcome calls from parents.

Avoid sending e-mail invitations as these can be easily forwarded to mass amounts of people and you can lose control of who has the information.

Let attendees know that if they leave the party, they can't come back.

Be sure all forms of alcohol, firearms, and over the counter/prescription medications are secured and in a safe place.

Be clear that there will be no alcohol, drugs or tobacco at this party.

What Can You Do As Parents?

Talk to your kids about the consequences of alcohol and drugs, AND don't be afraid to talk to your kids' circle of friends. Set and communicate clear rules - be direct about your expectations and the consequences of your child's actions.

If your teen is attending a party, call the parent host to ensure there will be appropriate supervision and no alcohol. Call your friends' parents and make sure you're all on the same page about underage drinking and how your child is getting to and from the party. ALWAYS give your child permission to call you at any hour for any reason for a ride. Help your child identify another adult they trust and can also call at any time for help.

Be a good role-model for your child.

Help your teen to make healthy lifestyle choices.

Talk to older siblings about the consequences of supplying alcohol to younger brothers and sisters or their friends.

Municipal Alliances Committee meetings are held in municipalities throughout Morris County and are open to the public. Please call 973-285-6860 for more information regarding the Municipal Alliance operating in your area.

Where Can You Turn for Help?


Addiction Helpline of Parents Support NJ
Addiction Hotline of New Jersey
Alcoholics Anonymous
AIAnon/Ala Teen - families/friends
Center for Alcohol & Drug Resources
Nar-Anon Families & Friends of Addicts
Narcotics Anonymous of NJ
National Suicide Prevention Hotline
National Runaway Switchboard
National Youth Crisis Hotline
Parents Anonymous/Family Helpline
Psychiatric Intervention Screening
Rape Crisis Hotline - 24 hour hotline
Safe Haven for Infants Hotline
Jersey Battered Women's Service
NJ Domestic Violence Hotline
NJ Child Abuse Hotline
First Call for Help (connect & get answers)
Useful Websites
National Council on Alcoholism & Drug Dependence
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse & Alcoholism
New Jersey Prevention Network
Drug Free New Jersey
Morris County Prevention Is Key
New Jersey Quit Net
Willow Tree Center
Morris County
Teens - Freevibe
Young Teens- The Cool Spot
Parents - The Anti-Drug
Family Guide
New Bridge Services
40 Developmental Assets
Youth Empowerment Alliance
Find Treatment
NJ AI-Anon/Ala-teen

Consequences ... It can be a VERY costly choice!

It's a criminal offense in NJ to allow underage drinking in your home, so for starters, you're looking at a disorderly persons charge - that's a record and a fine!

For your teenager and his/her friends, most Morris County municipalities have a local underage drinking ordinance (Private Property Ordinance), This local ordinance makes it unlawful for a person under the legal age of 21 to possess or consume alcoholic beverages on private property in the respective municipality. Violations of this ordinance may carry fines. AND the Court may suspend or postpone the driving privilege of the defendant for 6 months. and require community service for up to 30 days. Your homeowners insurance may increase.  The company may even drop you.  Most policies cover damage or' theft from underage drinking parties.

If an underage party-goer drives after drinking, it will cost you, If your car is damaged or if you submit a claim on your insurance policy, get ready to payout again. Additionally, you may risk losing your policy.

You will be held civilly liable if sued by another parent. Injuries, alcohol poisoning, sexual assault, drowning, or suicide may result in lawsuits. You can't put a price on relationships, but you've just lost the trust of other parents and you've lost the respect of your neighbors and friends.

It's a criminal offense in New Jersey to allow underage drinking in your home.

For additional information, please contact Chief Michael Bailey at 908-876-8300.

Download the Flyer 4.3 MB (Requires Adobe Reader)